Cottage Food Laws in Washington

Can You Sell Food and Beverage out of Your Home in Washington?

Under Washington state law, it is illegal to sell food and beverages that are not pre-packaged from a private home without a valid food service license. Additionally, it is illegal to manufacture, process, store, or distribute food for sale without a valid license.

What is the Cottage Food Law in Washington?

The Cottage Food Law in Washington is a law that allows home-based food producers to make certain food items and sell them directly to consumers without needing a license or inspection from the Washington State Department of Agriculture. These food items include baked goods, jams and jellies, candy, dried herbs and spices, dry mixes, honey, maple syrup, nut mixes, popcorn, and some canned fruits and vegetables. The law also sets a limit on the annual gross sales revenue of $50,000.

What is Required on a Cottage Food Label in Washington?

In Washington, cottage food labels must include the name of the food product, a list of all ingredients in descending order by weight, the net weight or volume of the product, an unassuming statement of potential allergens, such as “may contain traces of nuts, wheat, etc.”, the name and address of the producer including a phone number, a use-by date, and a statement that reads “This is a cottage food product and is not inspected by the Washington State Department of Agriculture”.

Are Cottage Foods Taxable in Washington?

Yes, cottage foods are taxable in Washington. Sales tax is due on all food sales, including cottage food items. Washington State Department of Revenue requires cottage food producers to collect and remit sales tax on all sales when they reach gross sales of $10,000 or more per year. For sales that are less than $10,000 per year, cottage food producers are not required to collect sales tax but they must still report their gross sales to the Department of Revenue each year.

Do You Need to Establish a Business Entity to Sell Cottage Foods in Washington?

Yes, you will need to establish a business entity to sell cottage foods in Washington. Depending on the type of business you are operating, this could include registering as an LLC (limited liability company) or forming a corporation. You will also need to obtain a business license and comply with the state’s cottage food laws and regulations.

What Permits do You Need to Sell Food out of Your Home in Washington?

In Washington, you must obtain several permits before you can legally sell food from your home. These permits include:
* A license from the state’s Department of Revenue
* A permit from the state Department of Health
* A business license from your local government
* An inspection and approval from the local health department
* A food worker card issued by the state health department
* A seller’s permit from the state Department of Revenue
* An appropriate zoning permit from your local government
* Any other permits or licenses that may be required by your local government

Does a Cottage Food Business Need a Food Handlers License in Washington?

No, in Washington state, a cottage food business does not need a food handlers license. However, you may be required to obtain a business license and a food safety certification.

How Much does it Cost to Obtain a Food Safety License or Certification in Washington?

The cost of a food safety license or certification in Washington depends on the type and level of the license or certification you need. A food handler permit in Washington is typically free. A basic Food safety certification from the Washington State Department of Health is $24.40, and a Level 2 Food Safety Manager Certificate is $125.

Who Regulates Food Safety in Washington?

Food safety in Washington is regulated by the Washington State Department of Agriculture. The WSDA is responsible for inspecting retail food establishments, conducting food safety investigations, and enforcing state and federal food safety laws.

How Long Does a Food Handlers License Last in Washington?

A Food Handler’s License in Washington is good for three years from the date of issuance.

What Permits do You Need for a Food Truck in Washington?

In Washington, a food truck must have a mobile food unit license from the board of health. The business must also obtain a business license from the Washington State Department of Revenue. Depending on the county you are operating in, you may need additional permits, such as a street vending permit or a peddler’s license. It is important to check with your local government for specific requirements.

What Permits do You Need for a Food Booth in Washington?

The specific permits you need to operate a food booth in Washington depend on what type of food you are selling, where you are selling it, and whether you are selling prepared or non-prepared food. Generally, you will need a business license, a health permit, and a sales tax permit. In addition, depending on the jurisdiction, you may need additional permits such as a public assembly permit or a vendor permit for the specific market or event.

What Permits do You Need for a Cottage Food Business in Washington?

In order to operate a cottage food business in Washington, you must have a valid Food Worker Card and abide by the state’s cottage food laws. You will also need to obtain a business license and register your business with the Department of Revenue. Additionally, you may need to obtain a permit from your local county health department if your business is located within an unincorporated area.

What are the Penalties for Selling Food without a Permit in Washington?

In Washington, selling food without a valid permit is a Class 1 civil infraction, which carries a maximum penalty of $250. Additionally, if a violation occurs, the Department of Health or local health jurisdiction may issue a cease and desist order to the person or business involved. Violation of this order carries a misdemeanor penalty of up to $2,000 and/or up to 90 days in jail.