Cottage Food Laws in Missouri

Can You Sell Food and Beverage out of Your Home in Missouri?

Yes, you may sell food and beverage out of your home in Missouri, provided you have obtained the required licenses and permits from the local health department. Depending on the type of food product, you may be required to get a food service license from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.

What is the Cottage Food Law in Missouri?

The Cottage Food Law in Missouri is a law that allows individuals to make certain types of food products in their home kitchen and sell them directly to consumers without having to obtain a food-establishment license. Under the law, Missourians can produce certain non-potentially hazardous foods such as baked goods, jam, jellies, candy, and roasted nuts, among others. The food products must be labeled with the producer’s name and address and a statement of ingredients. All products must be sold directly to consumers with an accompanying invoice. Sales of the food products are limited to $5,000 or less in any 12 month period.

What is Required on a Cottage Food Label in Missouri?

In Missouri, cottage food labels must include the following information: the product name, a list of ingredients, weight, net quantity/volume, name and address of the cottage food producer, and a statement that the product was made in a home kitchen. The label must also include a warning if the food contains major food allergens such as milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soybeans, fish or shellfish.

Are Cottage Foods Taxable in Missouri?

Yes, cottage foods in Missouri are taxable. The state sales tax rate is 4.225%.

Do You Need to Establish a Business Entity to Sell Cottage Foods in Missouri?

Yes. In order to sell cottage foods in Missouri, you must have a valid food license or establish a business entity. The type of business entity you choose will depend on the type of business you plan to operate. Additionally, you must register your business with the Missouri Department of Revenue and obtain any necessary permits or licenses from the local health department.

What Permits do You Need to Sell Food out of Your Home in Missouri?

In Missouri, you must obtain your food service license from the Department of Health and Senior Services, as well as a county health permit and a business license from the state’s Department of Revenue. You may also need to get a zoning permit from your local municipality. Additionally, you may need to obtain additional permits or certifications for any other food or food-related services you provide (such as catering).

Does a Cottage Food Business Need a Food Handlers License in Missouri?

No, a Cottage Food Business does not need a Food Handlers License in Missouri. However, it is recommended that all Cottage Food Businesses in Missouri become familiar with the Cottage Food Law and regulations. Additionally, it is recommended that cottage food operators practice good food safety and sanitation practices in the preparation and handling of their products.

How Much does it Cost to Obtain a Food Safety License or Certification in Missouri?

The cost of obtaining a food safety license or certification in Missouri depends on the type of food service operation and the size of the operation. The cost for a basic one-time certification course can range from $100 to $200, and additional certification courses may be required for more complex operations. For instance, a mobile food service vendor must complete four additional courses, totaling $300 to $400. Additionally, some food safety and sanitation courses require a certification fee. This fee ranges from $20 to $40 per staff member.

Who Regulates Food Safety in Missouri?

The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) regulates food safety in the state of Missouri. The DHSS enforces state laws and regulations related to food safety, as well as federal regulations implemented in the state.

How Long Does a Food Handlers License Last in Missouri?

In Missouri, a Food Handlers License is valid for three years.

What Permits do You Need for a Food Truck in Missouri?

In Missouri, food truck operators must obtain a State Food Code license, a Mobile Unit Permit, a City Business License, and any other necessary permits issued by the local county health department. In addition, food trucks must be inspected by the local health department and maintain a valid license to operate in the county or city where they are located.

What Permits do You Need for a Food Booth in Missouri?

In Missouri, all food booth operators must obtain a Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) license before serving food at any event. This license can be obtained through the state health department. You will also need to obtain a business license and any necessary permits from your local health department, as well as any necessary permits from the venue where you plan to operate your booth. Additionally, you may need additional permits from other local governing bodies, such as a liquor license if you plan to serve alcohol at your booth.

What Permits do You Need for a Cottage Food Business in Missouri?

In Missouri, you will need a cottage food production certificate to sell homemade food products. This is a free certificate issued by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. You may also need a local food handler permit depending on your county or city. Additionally, you may need to obtain a business license or other permits from your county or city government.

What are the Penalties for Selling Food without a Permit in Missouri?

The penalties for selling food without a permit in Missouri depend on the type of food being sold. Generally, selling food without a permit is considered a misdemeanor offense and may result in a fine of up to $1,000 or imprisonment of up to one year. Additionally, local health departments may take action against those selling food without a permit, including the closure of the establishment and potential fines.