Can You Sell Food and Beverage out of Your Home in Sacramento County in California?Yes, you can sell food and beverage out of your home in Sacramento County in California, but you must obtain a permit from the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department. You must also comply with all food safety standards set out by the California Retail Food Code.
What is the Cottage Food Law in Sacramento County in California?The Sacramento County Cottage Food Law (Ordinance No. 2018-0031) allows individuals to prepare certain foods in their home and sell them at farmers markets, public events, or directly to consumers. The law establishes standards for production and labeling of cottage foods, and requires cottage food producers to obtain a Sacramento County Cottage Food Permit. Cottage food producers must comply with state and county regulations regarding food safety, labeling, and reporting. Examples of allowable cottage foods include jams, jellies, preserves, breads, cakes, cookies, candy, and popcorn.
What is Required on a Cottage Food Label in Sacramento County in California?In Sacramento County, California, cottage food labels must include the following information:
1. The name and address of the cottage food operation;
2. A list of ingredients (including all major food allergens) in descending order by weight;
3. The net weight of the product (if applicable);
4. The date the product was produced and/or packaged;
5. A statement indicating that the product was made in a home kitchen not subject to public health inspection;
6. A statement that states “Keep Refrigerated”, “Keep Frozen”, or “Perishable” (if applicable); and
7. A statement that reads “This item is a cottage food product not subject to the California Retail Food Code.”
Are Cottage Foods Taxable in Sacramento County in California?Yes. Cottage foods in Sacramento County, California are taxable as they are considered a prepared food item.
Do You Need to Establish a Business Entity to Sell Cottage Foods in Sacramento County in California?Yes, you need to establish a business entity to sell cottage foods in Sacramento County in California. California requires all cottage food operators to register their business with the county where they plan to conduct business. In Sacramento County, cottage food operators must register their business with the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department before they can begin operations. Additionally, cottage food operators in California must obtain a Food Facility Permit and an Accepted Food Safety Manager Certificate from the California Department of Public Health in order to legally sell their products.
What Permits do You Need to Sell Food out of Your Home in Sacramento County in California?To legally sell food out of your home in Sacramento County, California, you must obtain the following permits:
1. Business License from the County Clerk’s office
2. Sacramento County Food Permit from the Environmental Management Department
3. Health Permit from the Public Health Department
4. California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) Seller’s Permit
5. Zoning Permit from your local municipality
6. Fire Clearance from the Fire Department
7. Building and Safety Permit from the Building and Safety Department